- Plan an activity for yourself....something you love to do or something you have always wanted to do, but your ex-spouse didn't want to do. Get out there and DO SOMETHING! Live your life and enjoy yourself!
- Go the opposite route and do something that is completely unrelated to your past.
- Consider making this a volunteer day for yourself. Help out at a local shelter or food bank. This should warm your heart and bring some perspective to your life. You will see that there are problems so much bigger than your divorce.
- Get together with friends.
- Don't stay home alone and feel sorry for yourself. This will not help you. Thinking about the past will not help you and thinking about what all of the "happy couples" are doing will not help you.
- Make the day about you. Love yourself. Love your friends. Love your dog and/or cat. Call an old friend that you haven't talked to in awhile and just say hi.
Life is full of little moments that you should grab and make the most out of them. You have control of your own happiness. There will be lots of firsts again after your divorce. It is important for you to not dwell on what was or what could have been. Keep your chin up and focus on the positive things in your life. Love yourself. You can and will recover.