Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Practical advice....

I've been having a hard time updating the blog frequently.  So, here is a brief post to get me back into the swing of things.

At this point we've made it through the entire holiday season.  I really hope everyone was able to get through the holidays and cooperate in regards to the kids.  The most important thing is to do what is best for the kids and make them feel as though almost nothing has changed.  The easiest way to do this is to be willing to change your plans and be flexible so the kids benefit.  For example--is it really that important that you celebrate Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day?  Or, Christmas on Christmas Day?  Isn't it more important that you spend time with your child?  I've discovered through my own experiences that the kids don't seem to care what day the holiday is on....especially when you act like it's no big deal.

It seems like everyone waits until the last minute to plan for visitation--be it during the holidays or a long weekend, etc.  Communication is key here, folks.  You should start planning your holiday visitation arrangements AT LEAST by the beginning of October.  You may not like talking to the other party, but it is so much easier to get the plans laid out.  Then, it's done and it's one less thing to worry about.

I've posted about DCFS before and my feelings haven't changed on that front.  I'm mentioning them again because I want to emphasize how important it is for people to have a lawyer during the process of dealing with DCFS.  Whether actual charges are filed or you just have to deal with DCFS and an indicated finding, you need a lawyer on your side.  The lawyer is able to guide you and help keep DCFS in line and prevent DCFS from rolling over you and your rights.

Another issue I'd like to cover briefly is that of paying your lawyer.  I don't want to preach, but people...pay your lawyer.  You go to work and do your job and expect to collect a paycheck.  A lawyer is the same way.  I feel that you are primarily paying your lawyer for our knowledge base and our service to you.  We have to eat and put a roof over our heads as well.  I don't expect you to work for free and you shouldn't expect your lawyer to work for free.  That's all I'll say.  I don't want to be all preachy.

Remember, the only real answer we can give you regarding your case is "it depends."  We can talk about best case scenario and worst case scenario.  Some judges are predictable enough that we can even predict what they will do.  However, there is never a guarantee.  If someone is making you a guarantee as to how your case will turn out, be very wary and ask more questions.  You might want to consult with another attorney as well, just to be sure.  You want to hire someone who will be honest with you and who wants to help you resolve your problems in a way that is most cost effective for you.  You don't want someone who will just run up the bill with no consideration to your financial situation.

That's it for today.  I will try to post at least once a week and begin to address some of the most commonly asked questions that I receive.  If you have specific questions, feel free to email them to me and I will address them in a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment